Google Ads warned of an upcoming change in food advertising rules.
In October 2020, the European Union and the United Kingdom will ban ads for foods and beverages high in fat, salt and sugar to minors. These rules will take effect 6 october…
Examples of prohibited foods and drinks:
- Sweetened drinks (soda, water, juice, coffee, tea, and sports drinks with added sugar or other nutritive sweeteners), energy drinks.
- Donuts, cakes, sweet biscuits, pastries, croissants, sweet pastries.
- Canned fruits in syrup, dried fruits with added sugar.
- Chocolate nut butters, ajil, nut sticks with chocolate or caramel, nuts in caramel or honey.
- Beef or pork sausages, hot dogs, salami, prosciutto, bacon, grilled meat or fish.
- Pizza, burgers paired with French fries, other fried foods (such as crispy jalapenos).
- Caramel, chocolate, sweets, sugar products, marmalade, ice cream, marshmallows.
- Butter, salt, nutritive sweeteners (e.g. maple syrup, agave, honey, sugar), coconut oil.
You can learn more about this change in the Google Ads Policy Center.